Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Professional Development / Internet Integration

Go to fullsize image

This was certainly a topic that provided much fodder for discussion. In my preparation I decided to have a little fun and so I canvassed the teachers and administrators in my building as well as some in a neighbouring Middle School. An educator who believes in their continued professional growth is the 'Commander-in-Chief' or the 'Sarge in Charge' of their edu-world.m
My poll question was:
Do you believe  teachers  are responsible for their professional development, or is administration responsible?
Many teachers believed that they were responsible for their professional advancement (70%) while some believed, administrators included, that administration was(20%). There were a few still on the fence (9%) not sure who was responsible while the jury was still out for some (1%). These teachers stated that they are the ones who need to be intrinsically motivated and so advance their own learning. The Title One Coordinator (Middle School Administrator), remarked that student achievement was an area of concern and if teachers were to be adequately prepared for the challenge, especially with NCLB breathing down their necks; administrators MUST make professional development a priority. She mentioned a professional development system called ProDev that offered courses to teachers in all areas of development from classroom management to technology skills as basic as understanding Microsoft Word. Teachers received credits for professional development and are sometimes offered graduate credit courses. As an added incentive teachers are presented with a 'small gift' at the end of the year if they have 44 or more professional development credits. As a young 4th Grade teacher remarked to me today,'Times have changed. Teachers no longer need to be pushed or prodded to develop themselves. The new breed of teachers want to move up to new and better positions so the desire is intrinsic rather than extrinsic'.
RESEARCH FINDINGS
Go to fullsize image
As I perused the readings, these issues fairly jumped out at me.
  • educational leaders must harness the value of information and communications technology and reconsider the goals for technology integration that are focused on student learning. Ultimately student learning outcomes is the measuring stick of all new programs. If there is no growth, the program is unnecessary.
  • Educators must align their tech skills to standards and assessments, curriculum and instruction and provide multiple learning environments. Here enters the Web 2.0 tools for classroom use.
  • Fayetteville School District has the 'right ' attitude; they believe technology infusion is for the teacher as well as the students and although NCLB is a driving force behind decisions in education, they believe it is NOT just about the test. I applaud this; students must be prepared for the world at large not just for 'passing' a test.
  • Henrico County went further to educating their board on technology, not just the teachers - they believe it is not just about the tool, it is about instruction. It is the process of creation and collaboration among and between learners (students as well as teachers).
  • Blogs and digital portfolios being used by students was a much discussed topic. Personally I'd like to see more school districts infusing technology use in classrooms by unblocking some of these Web 2.0 sites and help teachers truly educate their students beyond the classroom.
Dr. Scott McLeod's Slide - Reaction
A very powerful question.  One comment I agreed with was Linda's. She spoke of students being BORED who did not wish to be lectured but needs to be engaged. Students are actively involved in technology outside of school and so as educators, we need to extend that knowledge, not power them down when they enter our classroom doors.
Personal Story
In 2008, when I just came to this country; I came in as a great teacher; always teaching because I was not exposed to the type of technology I was being asked to use. I just didn't know how. I did not have Promethean boards or smart boards in my classroom back home. One day I was going through an Science lesson and my observer commented to be at the end that it was a good lesson but I was lecturing too much. I was crushed because I thought I was impressing her with my 'teaching skills'. That incident opened my eyes to what the American classroom was all about - engaging learners, differentiating instruction, using technology based lessons and overall catering to the needs of every learner.  I got empowerment from the criticism and launched myself into learning all I could learn and applying it in my classroom.
My growth speaks for itself. I'm now equipped with so much that I would say to anyone, a classroom cannot survive in this day and age without technology. Children are living in a digital world and in order to advance this we must embrace it and pass it on as one of the best legacies we could give to our students.
Go to fullsize image

10 comments:

  1. I love your post! I agree with your introduction as well. Love how you think outside the box. "Children are living in a digital world and in order to advance this we must embrace it and pass it on as one of the best legacies we could give to our students." This is so true!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very good thinker girl. Great idea that you came up with to ask your fellow colleagues. It is so good to know that so many of them think that it is their responsibility to get training. Using incentives is really a good way to get teachers to do it on there own. In the end, it will benefit all the parties involve including yourself. Most of us traditional teachers are use to "chalk and talk" and that does not work anymore in this day and age. As I have said before, that we need to step out of the box and see all the precious things that are out there for us to learn where technology is concerned. Keep up the good work. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could say that the answers can vary, in some cases as in my case I have taken all the training that my district has because I want to be prepared for my students I want to give the best to them but there are some colleagues that they say they do not have the time or they are about to retire so why to bother, or there are many other excuses, it is here where leaders have to act and make the things happen. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the Teacher Resources video, Your introduction and the idea about the virtual world kids are living now. I also like the issue about your poll. I also believe that we, teachers, are responsible for our own advancement(70%). Perhaps more than that now. Pretty good POST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The results from the poll question where many teachers believed that they were responsible for their professional advancement (70%) but there should be some guidelines to just like how its done in this course and most important is to ensure that it is done. Just like the students, some teachers will not do this if it is solely left up to them. Some believed, administrators included, that administration was(20%).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right when saying we are to turn on students not off when they come in our classrooms! Teachers need to take learinig of web 2.o tools on their own. Students' life will be enrich with all the chances we give them to use technology and be acquainted with all the possibilities and new trends. Thanks for sharing the outcomes of your survey, this is food for thought! "The new breed of teachers want to learn on their own, they have an intrinsic desire for change".Good points!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow very interesting and well detailed post. I do believe that educators have no choice but to include th use of the internet in their everyday lives. I too can say that I have grown so much ever since I have been in this country and also doing this technology course. Our eyes have been open tremendously has we continue move forward in this 21st century. Again great JOB my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. I always helps to have a real-life referecne to the benefits of something you are learning. I agree that this is a legacy that we are passing on to the children that we teach and to be considered an effective teacher in this era (The Net Generation) we must integrate technology into our lessons at all times.

    Great job as ususal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also want to thank you for your informal survey. It provides a positive view...which balances out the negative one I received last week. One of my doctoral students followed 18 teachers who have been in a 1-1 laptop initiative for EIGHT YEARS, and found that only 3 of 18 had changed their teaching methods and used the technology in the classroom and for homework. In other words, 5 of 6 continued heavy lecturing and in fact had the student close their laptops at the start of class "...so they would not be distracted from the lecture." Your post (and the example of yourself) counter this with the amazing engagement that is possible - engagement you have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading. I also shared some of the views as the teachers you engaged in the survey. I believe that moving forward and equipping oneself is highly intrincically motivated. Everything in learning today is related to technology. Even assessment is being done by some technology device. For me I just get excited when it comes to technology. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete