Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Horizon Report - Are we Prepared?

YouTube - Mobile Computing : 2010 NMC Horizon Report


This is just one aspect of the efffectiveness of the Horizon Report. In a word - stupendous! I am really awed with what the future holds - What a great and bright future for our kids? I feel honored that I'm able to begin sharing from the many interesting web 2.0 tools I learned about in this course.  But how many educators are really ready for this transition?

I look @ the Web 2.0 tools that we are now using in 2010 and I question  myself - 'Will these tools still be in existence in 2020?' 'Are we preparing our students for the technological revolution? The above video gives us a taste of what the future holds. Are we as upcoming administrators ready to chart the waters and make sure the Net-Gen kids are not ahead of us?
I look back at where we were as educators when we began this course and look at us now! Confident, self-assured, motivated - to teach and share knowledge using none other than web 2.0 tools. What a transition!We have become futuristic, visionary leaders who are more than prepared to share technology with our staff and students. What growth - who would have imagined we would have come so far so quickly? I view the impact of the Horizon Report the same way I viewed this course as I entered - as a challenge. The onus is on us to prepare our students to click, swipe and scroll , because that's the way of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-ZVCjfWf8

This short but powerful video reminds us of what we are up against as educators and how important technology is to the world as we know it!
To close my blog this week I leave you with a video on the 21st Century Learner. This is where we're at right now - did the Horizon Report prepare you for the future?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1srP6J7f9kY

9 comments:

  1. Awesome videos Janet.
    There are so much that is going on where technology is concerned but that is just the way to go. We as teachers have to keep up with the growing trends and make sure that our students are getting the best at all times. In doing this, we have to ensure that we keep abreast of all the changes and improvements that are going on, so we too can become "digital natives". We cannot afford to be left behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your question, and that is the true concern are we really prepared as teachers and administrators? So that we can guide correctly to our students. They know more about technology that we as teachers do that is for sure but do they really know how to use it correctly and how to take advantage of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a question we should really ask ourselves, "Are we prepared for what technolgy has coming our way?"

    To be true and effective students to our teachers we need to make ourself stop and take in the information that we have at our fingertips as we prepare ourselves for what is to come. You said it, as teachers we are the guides and we really do not want to lead them astray.

    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your views that many of us may not be ready for this transition. What I have seen though is that once we are introduced to something gradually it may work out. Just like we were introduced to technology via this course. Look at us now... we are doing awesome girl... I agree with you on that point. Good points girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great bright future for our students indeed!! I love your question "Are we prepared?" I thought about your question too as I was doing my blog. Scanning through the Horizon Reports I was in awe! but I was also excited knowing that my own child has a promising future in this global connecting world! I do believe that if the trend continues our students will find education very appealing and interactive. Also the graduation rate will increase and the dropout rate will decrease! Thank you for your post, it allowed me to think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice provocative post...I liked it, and I agree, you have all come a long way. But to some degree, I disagree with the last video that said you learn by Doing. True, but as this class illustrated, and I think Web 2.0 illustrates as well, we learn by connecting with other learners...as the comments above suggest. This class could not work as a correspondence course, because it is the interactions between us and the sharing that makes the learning work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question Janet 'Are we preparing our students for the technological revolution?
    I have to agree we have all come a long way, some of the web 2.0 tools that we are using and sharing with our students is because of this course ...
    As educators we need to share what we have gain with others so we can get the students where we want them, just think back to when we didn't even know what jing was and now some of us are masters at using this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Janet I think we are ready. I know I am ready. I just need some money and a little more time in my day to explore and experiment as much as i would want to. It is so interesting though what there is to come. What the future holds for our students. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good videos.
    We are ready but some schools are not. Maybe the way they want us to work on technology is a combination of 1900 education with computers from the 21st Century. On the other hand, you are right. We need interaction in order to socialize knowledge.

    ReplyDelete