Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

Emerging Technology - Then and Now

The 'Tech-Ready' Teacher!
IPad-02.jpg             According to http://www.wikipedia.com/ mobile computing is a form of human computer interaction where a computer is transported during normal usage. It has three aspects - mobile communication, mobile hardware and mobile software. One of the most important aspects of mobile computing is portability.  As I researched I came across two schools of interest. Beijing Municipal uses mobile phones as a part of their class but it became an issue affecting exam security so the Education Department installed mobile phone screening during college entrance exams to prevent illegal transmission of answers through mobile phones.
Go to fullsize imageGo to fullsize image
In his book Rewired: Understanding the iGeneration and the Way They Learn, professor and author Larry D. Rosen states “iGeners are growing up with portable technology'. Marymount Girls' School NYC is one such environment that is packed with IGeners. Mobile technology is integrated into the school's curriculum for multiple reasons. It was created to allow girls to interact in an environment of interconnectedness while using a range of instructional strategies. They use I-Tunes, podcasts, Twittering, Tweetmike and Tweetcast to develop their speaking, listening and comprehension skills
They are blogging, commenting, sharing; they are accessing multimedia, multitasking and evaluating.  The Ipod Touch was used to teach several subjects including foreign languages. The students responded very positively. I'll share some of their comments with you:
  • I am a visual learner so being able to conduct basic demos of physics concepts made learning more dynamic and enhanced my basic understanding.
  • The iPod Touch is a terrific way to learn a language
As technology continues to emerge so is the program at Marymount. The iPad was infused into the curriculum in the Fall of 2010. The programs being used has given the students the opportunity for individualized yet instructional avenues using portable technology.
Marymount School NYC student using mobile technology in the classroom
As the years roll on administrators are faced with many more technological issues than cyberbullying. The rapid growth of Web 2.0 technologies like social networking have emerged. Some administrators view the emergence of technology as a landmine, sparking spirited discussion as evidenced in this article http:www.boardbuzz.nsba.org/discussions/archive/session.10182007.newtech.php

As I look back on the track record of emerging technology, I wonder what next? Remember when cell phones were this huge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ELj5HpV0E

Here is where the future of phone technology is heading. HELLO WORLD! Are we ready? Ready or not here they come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngp3YJoE-1c

13 comments:

  1. Great blog! I too am a visual learner as are most if not all of my students.

    "As I look back on the track record of emerging technology, I wonder what next? Remember when cell phones were this huge?" I too remember when it was the rage to get one of the new cell phones that were so huge that you could hurt someone if you wanted to with it.

    I too, like you, do think what's next. Love the pictures as well girl!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I can see that you are tech- ready in mind and body. Why not girl, as educators preparing students of the 21st Century, we have to be. I enjoy reading. Great Post as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tech- Ready girl is on the go. :) Can you believe it. Some of us could not say that a few months ago. Isn't that great. I can see that you are ready for the world where technology is concerned.
    Mobile computing is taking over the world slowly but surely, whether we want it to or not. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Janet, you are a true motivator. Just as how you enjoy reading my blog post,I always look forward to reading your comments. Thanks a million girl. Keep on rising to the top :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many times Allette we forget to tell each other how good we are or how much we have improved. I never want to make that mistake, I want to stop and let others know just how well they are doing. Thank you my dear my life is richer from having met you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting blog my friend! I always wonder too what next will bring about a change in this technological era that we are living in. Can you imagine 5 years from now??? Wow even our own children will be captured and hypnotize by technology! I remember having one of those cell phones. They were called "fridge"(lol) in those days because they were so huge. Now we have cell phones that can fit in the palms of our hands. Very soon our students will no longer need a binder to take around their information but all they need is an iPad!!!WOW! Again good post Jan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture. You surely are ready and as Shornett says, you are ready both in mind and body.
    When I read about exam security with the mobile units I had to laugh because, some things never change - technology or no technology some students always try to cheat. :)

    Great Post (as ususal)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I noticed you focused on the the positives of mobile computing ( stay positive :) ) Of course there are going to be arguments on the downside but have a plan as to how it will be used and let everyone be aware.have consequences for negative actions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice picture at the beginning! Thanks Janet for sharing with us precious drops of wisdom. I guess the Marymount is a priviledged school. Ipods for learning sound great to me. I wish we had more of those technologies in my school. I share with you the amazement on how technologies have reshaped the world we live in in less than two decades. Keep on blogging I will follow you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your comment about telling each other how far we have come...and that is true of all of us in this class. You all are amazing!

    With your mental model of tech readiness, I know that your students are in for fantastic learning in the future...as are you. We are moving in to an age of co-learning with our students, and that is perfectly fine. Look at how much I have learned from all of you through the links you have been finding and putting on your blogs each week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I infer that the first picture is the best technology ever available then and now.
    I like the part about the types of learners because it feeds my mind and learning a foreign language using technology as well.
    As usual
    Excellent POST!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes my friend you look so good!!! The pic is so hot!!! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking good Girl! You look ready for the world! Yes I remember when cell phones were the thing and I am right where you are with the question, Whats next? Great blog!

    ReplyDelete