Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The End of an Excellent Course

http://www.screencast.com/t/uPudFfKEyhttp://www.screencast.com/t/uPudFfKEy
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.


'WE DID IT OUR WAY' (Indeed)


Dedicated to ALL my colleagues in VIF 6 - Way to go guys - Kudos to you all!!




Can you believe how far we have come? It has indeed been a wonderful run and I'm so excited to be able to go into my staff development workshops as an empowered administrator having the ability to use different modalities of Web 2.0 tools to teach and to reach my staff and students.
I look back with real pride on my photostory tutorial. I read all the instructions and I was ready to go 'Jing' it up but there was a problem - I promised my colleagues during the tutorial that I would actually show them an example of a photostory; but here I was at a road block what to do, what to do? I just could not get it uploaded to my blog.
My grandparents used to tell me that 'patience was a virtue' and I really found out at that moment the true meaning of the saying. I met many other web 2.0 tools that night - www.Picasa3.com, www.camtasiastudio.com and of course the good 'ole' www.youtube.com  It was a wild run with me the techno phobe at the controls but as my introduction alluded, I did it my way and eventually conquered the obstacles.As Marc Prensky said "we must engage  students or enrage them".  A student will be more interested in what is being taught if he/she finds the material interesting. As an educator we must use technology and adjust our teaching style as well as our learning style. I did a lot of that during this course. At times I was enraged when I couldn't figure out what to do but overall I was engaged throughout the course with the wildly interesting issues we discussed.
 I move forward as an administrator to engage my students as Marc Prensky suggested but not only my students but my staff as well. Technology is never static, it continues to move and so continuous training and staff development workshops is an absolute necessity if teachers are to chart the way forward with technology.
Thank you Dr Watwood for showing us how much more than a smart-board technology is; thank you colleagues for your sharing over this time. It has been truly great and I feel quite honored to be a part of this group. Have a safe holiday and all the success in the new year. Hopefully we'll be together again online in January. 

11 comments:

  1. Well done Janet, wow girl you are a box of surprise, you said it right, we are moving forward and with us our students and staff, and we made our first step, and did not allow anything to stop us, from now on, nothing will, and recalling this experience will move us forward.Thank you for your song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As Marc Prensky said 'we must engage students or enrage them'." I agree with that qoute that you have presented. When I had initially read it while researching for my blog I thought "WOW". There are times when we don't think of the repercussions of our actions. As you said "a student will be more interested in what is being taught if he/she finds the material interesting" and girl, you and I know that engaged students are not a disciplinary issues.

    I am going to enter you into American Idol. You are definitely a box of surprises as Noemi said. I wait with abated breathe to read your blog weekly. Trust me, you never disappoint.

    Keep up the excellent work. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! That should be "breath" not "breathe".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at it this way - I certainly took your breath away so you forgot to breathe. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD! What a song!
    Humble, Creative, Ingenious and very good colleague. Thank you and Congratulations for your reflection. It is UNIQUE!
    (Sorry I do not have more words)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fine Eduardo. I'm grateful for your response which is truly from the heart. As they say, sometimes words are not enough but your choice of words are very fitting. Thank you I'm indeed humbled by the responses you are all posting. THANKS A MILLION!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll need to re-title our song as "WE Did It OUR Way!" What made this course successful was the sharing between colleagues. Yet, you have been a major contributor, and that is appreciated. You will definitely be a Visionary Leader where ever you go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sir and you are so right. All the class members lent their unique styles of presentation and production to make this the most interesting class ever. I'm definitely richer from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, and I have to agree that we need to use the technology to adjust teaching style to meet the needs of the different learning style.Great Job
    Wish all the best

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am speechless! Wow! after listening to your song you brought tears to my eyes! Girl you are truly creative! This course has really showed our true potential.This journey was worth it all. We have learned so much. Technology is the way to go!
    Great POST JAN!!! Enjoy your Christmas Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sashoi I was so waiting to see your comment. I'm not disappointed. Thank you for ALL your support, feedback and encouragement on and off the blog post. You have been a tower of strength to me especially those times when I wanted to give up. Because of colleagues like you I can celebrate today. Thanks my dear for everything and have a well deserved break.

    ReplyDelete